The University of Arizona draws on the expertise of people across campus to develop plans for preventing, preparing for and responding to emergencies.
- Threat Assessment and Management Team
- Emergency Numbers
- What to Do in Case of ...
- What to Do When There's an Active Shooter
Tips for Emergency Preparedness
Employees should not place themselves at additional physical risk. However, if safe the employees should wait for proper authorities to arrive and then provide them with their knowledge of the situation. If possible, people should be directed to a safe distance away from the site of danger. In cases of potential chemical, biological or radiation contamination and if safe and possible, the area should be secured to prevent further exposure. All potentially contaminated individuals should remain nearby for further testing and treatment. As much as practical, all UA property should be secured including files, labs, classrooms, and buildings.
- Know your building monitor. Know emergency exits in the buildings you frequent.
- Identify a crisis coordinator for your office/department. This person is responsible for gathering information and keeping your department informed.
- Identify a central location as a rally point for office personnel for information dissemination and so that you can be accounted for in case of evacuation. Identify personnel with special needs and formulate plans for their safe evacuation.
- Establish a departmental/office telephone tree. Include emergency contact, work and home phone numbers, e-mail addresses, cell phones, pagers.
- Create a department/office listserv.
- Make sure your department has a battery-operated radio and a fresh supply of batteries.
- Know the location of the Student Union Memorial Center information desk. In case of an emergency power outage, information will be released through the information desk.
- To get updates regarding campus closure, class cancellations, etc., please call UANews hotline at 626-1222 or 877-362-7341. During a crisis, these lines will have updated recorded messages.
- For news updates during a crisis, visit this site or UANews.org.
- Make a plan for alternative child care/elder care.
- Fore more information on preparing for emergencies, visit the Links section.