Shelter-in-place is designed to keep you safe while indoors. Procedures may vary depending on the hazard.
If a shelter-in-place is ordered:
- If outside, seek shelter in the nearest building, preferably in an interior room with few windows.
- Allow access to others seeking shelter.
- Close all exterior doors, windows and any other openings to the outside.
- Avoid overcrowding by selecting several rooms if necessary.
- Monitor UAlerts, emails, and text message, as well as the Incident webpage for further instructions.
- Report any emergency or unusual condition by calling 9-1-1.
- Do not leave the building until receiving the “all clear” from a law enforcement officer or UAlert.
| Subject matter experts: UAPD/Office of Emergency Management – Updated: April 2023