Procedures to Follow
- Call 9-1-1.
- Unless trained, do not render assistance above basic first aid.
- Determine the welfare of the ill or injured person by asking, "Are you okay?" and "What is wrong?"
- If the ill or injured person is unconscious, check pulse and breathing and perform CPR if necessary.
- Control serious bleeding by direct pressure and elevation of the wound.
- Keep the ill or injured person still and comfortable; have them lie down if necessary.
- Do not attempt to move the injured person unless they are in immediate danger.
- Clear the area of unnecessary people.
- Have someone meet and escort the medical team to the victim.
- Limit your communications with the ill or injured person to quiet reassurances.
- After the person’s immediate needs have been met, remain to assist the investigating officer with pertinent information about the incident.
- If the victim is an employee, notify their supervisor.
- If the injury or illness is minor but medical care is required, employees should report to Campus Health. Employees may go to their own health care provider and must let the provider know if the injury or illness is work related.
Information to Know
- Location of automated external defibrillators (AEDs)/AED trained personnel
- Location of incident
- Phone number at your location
- How many victims are involved
- If victim is breathing
- If victim is conscious
- If victim has a pulse
- If there is severe bleeding
- Planning for such emergencies includes knowing who has been trained in emergency first aid procedures and CPR.
| Subject matter experts: UAPD/Risk Management/Campus Health – Updated: April 2023